Writing this since I got tired of checking on old articles.
You have two sites. One named “OLD.com” and the new one (with the original name of) “NEW.com”. Different domains on different (or the same) hosting plattform.
- On old.com – remove all unused plugins and other assorted crap you don’t want to bring with you.
2. Check out All-in-one WP migration .
- Download the plugin into the old.com AND new.com wordpress instance.
- Make sure you are running the same PHP and wordpress version.
- Also make sure you have set the permalinks the way you want on the respective site.
3. When you migrate the data – make sure to rename the links. Check out the video on the link above.
4. After export – import the site again into new.com.
5. Logout – done.
What does it do?
Basically strips out the database – renames all the entries (which had to be done “Manually” before) and all the links.
PS: Always have backups first.